I recently wrote a fairly detailed review on how to utilize Google Analytics to track website activity on a daily basis over at WP Daily Themes. What I found as I looked into how to use this powerful online tool is that Google offers a whole lot more for us webmasters (yes, I learned that word too and I love it!).
Google has for some time been the leading search engine. However, if you run an online business, promote your local business via a website, blog for fun (or for a living), or do any of the other awesome things there is to do on WordPress, it is time you take advantage of the cool things Google offers to aid your marketing efforts.
Let’s take a look at some of the lesser known tools Google provides everyday webmasters such as yourself:
This free form of advertising offered by Google is a great way to get your local business found during everyday searches by customers. If you claim your Google My Business listing, your business will be featured on Google Search, Maps, and Google+ every time someone does a local search for you.
• Works on all devices so you are connected to people no matter the device.
• Automatic set up of a Google+ Page for your business for additional advertising.
• Include driving directions, click to call phone numbers, and hours of operation.
• Customers leave reviews, endorse you, and re-share your Google+ posts.
Dedicating a Google+ Page to your website, whether it is local or not, is just smart marketing due to the increased exposure your business will have. And remember, if you claim your Google My Business listing, a Google+ Page will automatically be set up for you to use so make sure you spend some time developing a solid page for customers to use when they need to.
• Google My Business will include a link to your business’ Google+ Page.
• Include the Google +1 button on your website to allow customers to share.
• The Google +1 button is highly ranked in Google search engines.
• Use as a networking platform.
Create ads to target specific keywords related to your business using this Google tool. After you create the ad, it will appear at the top of organic search results whenever someone searches the keywords you targeted in your ad. Signing up for Google AdWords is free, however if someone clicks on your add during a Google search, then you must pay a fee for the service.
• Attract customers while they are organically searching for what you have to offer.
• Advertise locally or globally, there is no limit to your reach.
• Access free phone support when you have questions.
• Set a specific budget and only pay when your advertising is working for you.
Included with Google AdWords, this important tool is free to use and can be extremely helpful when deciding which keywords to include in your SEO. Although this feature was designed to help Google AdWord users define their keywords, any webmaster can use suggested keywords for their own separate marketing efforts.
In addition to suggesting keywords to use on your website, this tool also allows you to track statistics to better your marketing campaigns. Use it to search what popular keywords or group ideas are trending, test how certain keywords may perform, and even ask for suggestions based on your actual website pages.
• Search volume statistics to help you decide which keywords are relevant.
• Access forecasts like predicted clicks and estimated conversions.
• Get help deciding on budgets based on predicted keyword search outcomes.
YouTube, a Google product since 2006, is a great resource to use for exposure and customer building. With over 1 billion users searching for anything and everything under the sun, someone is bound to want to see your stuff!
• Free and easy to use.
• Huge reach to people all over the world.
• Advertise products, reviews, tips and tricks; the choices are endless.
This simple test will analyze your website’s URL and inform you as to whether it is mobile-friendly or not. It will display what is seen on a mobile device when a customer accesses your website. These are the things that make your website mobile friendly:
• Avoidance of software such as Flash which is not common on mobile devices.
• Text is readable without zooming.
• Website sizes content so users don’t have to scroll horizontally.
• Links are far enough apart so that the correct one can be easily tapped.
PageSpeed Insights is a quick way to identify ways to make your site faster and more mobile-friendly. Simply input your URL and see what your score is. Google conveniently suggests ways to fix problem areas to make your website load faster and become more mobile-friendly.
Given the importance of Google rankings, SEO methods, and the exposure required to build a large following for your website, it is important to take advantage of all the essential tools you may not have been aware of. If you choose to implement any of the above Google tools into your website marketing efforts, your website will gain the exposure it deserves while allowing you to generate more sales, revenue, and followers.
Have you used any of the above Google tools? Is there one not mentioned that worked well for you? I would love to hear all about it in the comments below!